Monday, 17 August 2015

Mosaic Monday - Changing the Guard from the Inside

Hello and welcome.

Thanks very much for calling in and for your messages, it's great to hear from you. 

I've been to Windsor this week. I visited in May, here's my previous post where I was lucky enough to follow the guards up the street to the Castle while they performed the Changing of the Guard ceremony.  Today, I was determined to get there early enough to be inside the Castle and see them come in through the gate.
As you would expect, it's quite busy and there are security checks, but I made it inside with the ticket I bought last time, which I can use over and over again for a year.

I stood opposite King Henry VIII gate.


You can hear them coming up the road before you can see them! The band in front. It's very stirring.


If you are wondering about the bollards shown in the picture above, the guards don't have to squeeze past them, the bollards disappear into the ground.  I was once caught out when standing outside looking in and got a bit of a shock as they started to rise up out of the ground beside me!






Once the guards have changed over, the returning ones march out of the gate back to the barracks down the road.



There, the guards have been changed again. Quite spectacular. Enjoyed by all.

Now to do some exploring, I had to pop into St Georges Chapel to see the John Piper windows of course and visit the shop again to moan that there aren't any photos of them, then I decided to visit the State Apartments.

I'll tell you more about that next time.

Many thanks to Judith of Lavender Cottage for organising Mosaic Monday, do visit her to find all the other interesting links.

Cheerio

12 comments:

  1. Hello, I love the views of the Windsor Castle and the guards. Wonderful collection of photos. Thanks for sharing your visit. Happy Monday, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen glad you enjoyed it. :-)

      Delete
  2. Outstanding photos! Having recently visited London I thoroughly enjoyed this post. I didn't get to see Windsor but will make a point to go next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. England is steeped in history. I'm sure you are having a wonderful time on your visits to different places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing blog posts is a good excuse to make a few visits isn't it! :-)

      Delete
  4. http://cabralfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/1-mosaic-monday-faust-street-bridge.html
    Linking up for mosaic mondays

    I love the views of the guards and Windsor castle and you have shown us a great collection of photos. It makes me miss home but a great reminder. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The changing of the guard would be on my agenda in Windsor too, magnificent uniforms they wear. I'm impressed that you have a ticket that is good for a year!
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather pricey but as long as I go back 4 or 5 times it will be worth it. Have fun :-)

      Delete
  6. Great to see the changing of the guard! Looking forward to hearing more about the rest of your visit too! xx

    ReplyDelete