Saturday, 25 July 2015

The Vyne

Hello!

I had an unexpected trip this week to The Vyne, a National Trust property.  We had intended to pop into West Green gardens but it was closed and it just seemed such a waste of a beautiful afternoon if we didn't go somewhere.

The Vyne was built in the 16th Century as a huge Tudor palace for King Henry VIII's Lord Chamberlain, Lord Sandys.  In fact Henry VIII actually visited three times, with Catherine of Arragon and Anne Boleyn though not both together!

It has a fabulous chapel with important 16th Century Flemish majolica floor tiles and some wonderful stained glass windows which feature Henry and Catherine in them.

In 1653 the house was sold to Chaloner Chute and was passed down through the Chute family.

Horace Walpole, the son of Prime Minister Robert Walpole, was a friend of John Chute who inherited The Vyne and together they worked on the building of Walpole's gothic style house, Strawberry Hill and they even copied one of the ceilings at the Vyne. Here's a link to my visit to Strawberry Hill.

Apart from all the history, it's got a beautiful garden by a lake, surrounded by woodland.

Here's a few shots.


Sadly the photos of the Chapel windows came out all fuzzy, so I will have to get some more next time!

Behind the chairs are a row of truncheons which were made in the 19th Century due to the unrest caused by the steep rise in prices following the implementation of the Corn Laws. 300-400 poor labourers marched on The Vyne but were fortunately stopped before they reached it.






Ebony seat

Really old tiles from Antwerp




Ice cream parlour in ice cream colours

The little summerhouse surrounded by flowers

Nice isn't it!

Thanks for visiting.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us along, I love the old tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I love a good historic house! Love the carved columns and textured ceilings. The garden wasn't too bad either! ; ) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks a lovely place to visit x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh just beautiful! Such textures and details! The kind of place I love to visit and lose myself in dreams of days long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning,
    I saw you on my friend, Karen's blog. I see that you love nature also. These white flowers are so pretty, and have never seen them before. Nature is such a wonderful place to be, isn't it? It's one of my favorite places to be. The Vyne has much history, and the columns are so pretty with all its detail. I love old historic buildings like this. Me and my daughters also have a blog, and we would love it if you would visit us and follow. I would certainly come back and follow you as well. It's nice to meet new friends, and I hope to hear from you. Have a sweet day.

    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind message, I will have a look at your blog. Have a good day. :-)

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I LOVE those tiles. I've never heard of The Vyne so thank you for this, Karen. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They have a great Tudor history at The Vyne don't they. I don't know if they still do it, but they used to do a day with Henry VIII visiting! Glad you enjoyed it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something different to see. x

      Delete