Thursday, 9 July 2015

Rose Street

Hello! Hope you are well.

I was heading for Waitrose when suddenly I looked up and my eye was caught by some pretty hanging baskets. I took a detour down Rose Street and I wasn't disappointed.










The houses are all shapes and sizes and if I hadn't been trying to exclude the parked cars, you would be able to see the roses and flower baskets as well. Here are some hollyhocks trying to get in the window!



According to David Nash Ford's history of Royal Berkshire:

 In Rose Street are a remarkable series of medieval 'Wealden' (Sussex-style) hall houses, some of which date back to the late 14th century. One of these you can even visit, as it's currently the 'Metropolitan' public house. A slightly later house in the same street was the childhood home of chimney-sweep, James Seward, in the 1850s. He eventually became the inspiration for 'Tom' in Charles Kingsley's The Water Babies




Fancy that!

There is a small rose bed in the street.


Round the corner are the shops


This made me smile!



Bye for now!

4 comments:

  1. Rose Street looks lovely with all old houses in differing styles such a nice walk to take, Love the name of the barber's shop and how super to have a Waitrose within walking distance, the nearest one to us is a few miles away:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Waitrose, what would we do without it!

      Delete
  2. I haven't been down that road for years, but I know it well! It is a very interesting road isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's very pretty, shame about the cars though, they shouldn't be allowed to park outside beautiful old houses!

      Delete