Friday, 31 July 2015

Five on Friday - London

Hello again!

Many thanks for your kind messages, so nice to hear from you.

Amy is allowing us one more Five on Friday before the summer hols so do dash over to her blog to see what else is going on.

Off we go then!  To London for a quick touristy look.


1. The Lord Mayor's Coach - The Museum of London

Ordered in 1757 by a banker who knew he would be the next Lord Mayor, this coach is used in the annual Lord Mayor's Show. A new Lord Mayor is elected in the City every year and the coach is used to convey him from Guildhall to the Courts of Justice where he swears allegiance to the Crown. It has undergone lots of restoration since then and is covered in over 100 layers of paint!


2. View over the Thames to the London Eye

Apparantly the London Eye can carry 800 people at a time, you can see 40km in each direction and it travels at twice the speed of a sprinting tortoise.


3. St Pauls Cathedral and Millennium Bridge

The photo was taken from the Tate Gallery during a thunderstorm.   Famous for being a bit wobbly, when the bridge was opened an extra £5 million had to be spent fitting 91 dampers to stop the oscillations on the bridge.


4. The O2 Arena and the Emirates Air Line

Should you feel the need, you can climb up The O2 and there is a wonderful view. You are not supposed to bounce along the walkway as there is a ripple effect which can unsettle others following!  The Emirates Air Line also adds as air of excitement.


5. View from Waterloo Bridge towards St. Pauls and the Gherkin

It's always a joy to cross the bridge with new buildings popping up all the time to add to the skyline.



Have a good holiday Five on Fridayers, see you in September.

Bye for now!

16 comments:

  1. What nice pictures of London. I've never been so this has been a view that I have never seen. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what is good about these blogs, much cheaper than actually going there :-)

      Delete
  2. So nice to see the pictures of London, I haven't visited for some time. Have a great summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful views - such a long time since I was there. I remember the coach in the Museum of London. I love the expression 'twice the speed of a sprinting tortoise':)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super photographs, we love London and visit quite often as we live in Essex

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos.

    We, also, live within reasonable travelling distance of London, and have visited often. I did not like the Emirates Airline one little bit! I don't have a head for heights but didn't want to be a stick in the mud, however I should have stuck to my guns and let my hubbie and our chum go ahead without me, but of course they both encouraged me and I went along. The view was terrific, but I was terrified the whole time. I was so glad we didn't buy a return ticket! My hubbie thought it was a wonderful experience and good value for money.

    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to see if I can find a few tunnels for you instead!

      Delete
  6. Great to take a speedy tour around London with you!! I love the fact about the speed of the London Eye, that made me chuckle!! Thank you so much as always for joining in. Glad you remembered there will be no fiving in August, but back in September! Hope that you have a great weekend and a great August too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Have a great month with all your projects. x

      Delete
  7. Man! I love that city! Done the London Eye twice now and I don't think I'd pay to do it again. Too slow and nothing really to look at after the first 5 minutes. I would love to try the Emirates Line next time in the UK though! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Rosie - "twice the speed of a sprinting tortoise"?? Love it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind you they can move when they want to those tortoises! x

      Delete