Friday, 24 July 2015

Five on Friday - Books

Hello and welcome!

So glad you could call in.

With the summer holidays ahead of us, I thought I would share five books with you this week.  I suppose it could be five authors as each one has written many books and I look forward to their brand new publications avidly.

1. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery



I'm sure everyone has heard about and/or read this one.  It's just one of my favourites from way back. Red-headed orphan Anne Shirley begins her adventures in Avonlea on Prince Edward Island with Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert at their home Green Gables after they apply for a boy from the Orphanage to come and help them with their farm.  Little did they know how their lives would change.

There have been a number of TV shows, stage adaptations and films of this book, but the 1970s BBC serial will always be the definitive one for me.

L.M. Montgomery wrote a further 7 books in the series, with a number of related books as well.


2. Black Swan Green by David Mitchell



This is a semi-autobiographical book set in 1982 and describes a year in the life of 13 year old Jason Taylor as he goes through adolescence.  Each chapter represents a month in his life.

David Mitchell has also written a number of other books including Cloud Atlas, turned into a film, which contains six nested stories, and recently The Bone Clocks, all quite different genres. There is a new one on the way - Slade House being published in October 2015, a ghost story this time.


3.  Started Early Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson



This is the fourth murder mystery in the Jackson Brodie series.  They were turned into a TV series under the title Case Histories starring Jason Isaacs. The books are amusing and well written.  Here's a review. I haven't read her recent book God in Ruins which is a companion piece to Life After Life - I'm waiting for the paperback!

4.  The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler



Another quirky novel about a travel writer, Macon Leary, who doesn't like travel.  It's funny and sad at the same time. Here's a review.

5. The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith






From the author of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, The Sunday Philosophy Club follows the life of Isabel Dalhousie as she solves gentle mysteries as an amateur sleuth in Edinburgh.

I have read all these books but it's quite tricky writing about them, isn't it!  Hopefully, if you see them on a bookshelf you might give them a go and enjoy them as much as I did.

Many thanks to Amy for her Five on Friday organisation, do have a look at all the other posts by following the link.

Thanks also for your comments, I hope you get my replies and that I'm doing this in the right place!

Cheerio for now!

24 comments:

  1. An interesting collection, I too remember the 1970s 'Anne of Greengables' BBC series. I also enjoyed 'Case Histories' when it was on TV a couple of years ago. Thank you for the recommendations :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd have to put the Accidental Tourist on my reading list looks a great book and someone who doesn't love to travel... I'd have to find out why?!!!!
    Have a lovely weekend and thank you for your visit to Vanuatu tonight!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You like some of the same books/authors as me - I love the Alexander McCall Smith 'Dalhousie' novels - they are just so thoughful and gentle, like the Edinburgh setting too, also love the Jackon Brodie novels by Kate Atkinson and I also liked Black Swan Green. Don't think I've ever read either of the others although have seen a TV series of Anne of Green Gables:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good job they keep coming up with more books to keep us happy! :-)

      Delete
  4. You hooked me in straight away - Kim Braden!! I LOVED that series and subsequently read several of the books. All of these authors are on my bookshelf (in quantities) except Alexander McCall Smith, so maybe I need to give him a try. Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was marvellous wasn't it. You too. x

      Delete
  5. Great-looking summer reads! Loved that you did a "Book Five". You should check out the book club blog my Mom (Latane from Living Life on Main Street) and I started called Springtime in Magnolia after the book she wrote. Just click on my sidebar and become a follower....or join in, we'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Karen for sharing some great ideas for summer reading. If I could put down my knitting needles for awhile, maybe I could read a book or two. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully understand your predicament! You too. :-)

      Delete
  7. I just love mysteries, can't get enough of them! I am intrigued by the Kate Atkinson series so I will have to pop over to Amazon and read a little online. Ever since I discovered Book Bub I have suddenly gained a huge list of great reading material. I have actually lost track of all the books I've downloaded over the last few weeks from Book Bub. But can't let that stop me from adding maybe just a few more to my Kindle, lol!
    I didn't manage to participate in Five on Friday this week, or last for that matter but I'm still trying to pop by to everyone's blogs to say a quick hello!
    Hugs for now,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have a look at Bookbub it sounds interesting! :-)

      Delete
  8. Anne of Green Gables is right at the top for me too! I don't think I've read any of the others so thanks for the recommendations!
    Looking forward to following along and I'm so glad to meet you through Amy's fun link up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, you joined in perfectly, so don't worry!!! I have never read any books by any of these authors, so it was good to hear your thoughts about them. I will someday read the Anne of Green Gables books - someday! It is harder to write reviews than you imagine isn't it, but once you do a few you will find it gets easier! Thank you so much for joining in. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some good reviews of interesting books. I've always loved Anne of Green Gables, and the BBC series is wonderful. The Accidental Tourist is one I have wanted to read. Hope you have a good weekend with some time for reading! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi - found you via Five on Friday and wanted to comment as your taste in books seems similar to mine. Love Anne of Green Gables and also David Mitchell though haven't liked his more recent books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great eclectic selection. I am particularly interested in the black Swan Green. Going to look that one up. Have you read Tyler's Amateur Marriage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've read that one, I have a small pile of her books! :-)

      Delete