Friday, 17 July 2015

Chinneck Five on Friday

Hello again!

We must stop meeting like this!

Here's this week's Five on Friday with an artistic theme.  Amy has lots of other interesting posts to read, do follow the link and have a look.

Alex Chinneck is a conceptual artist who creates illusions relating to the area in which the artworks are located. He has come up with some interesting ideas to stun the passer-by in London.  They were only exhibited for a short time and are not available any longer but there are many pictures and videos on the net if you want to find out a bit more about them.

1. Take My Lightening But Don't Steal My Thunder



In London's Convent Garden, he made a replica of part of an old market building with the added twist that the top half appears to have broken away from the bottom and is floating in mid air. A bit of a magic trick!


2. A Pound of Flesh for 50p




Next he created a house made of wax celebrating an old candle making factory which used to be nearby several centuries ago.  When I visited, the top storey had already begun to melt.  All that was left at the end was the roof which slipped down each day as the 8,000 bricks gradually melted in a controlled fashion by means of hand held heating apparatus.

3. Under the Weather But Over The Moon


Round the corner, you could find two upside down houses, created just to cheer everybody up!

4. Telling the Truth Through False Teeth

Photo from Dezeen
In 2012 a derelict building not far from the Olympic Park was fitted with identically smashed windows which was to highlight the economic and social decline of an area which was hoping to benefit from the regenerative effect of the Games.

5.  A Bullet From A Shooting Star

His next venture is to be a huge electricity pylon placed upside down on the Greenwich Peninsula for the London Design Festival in September 2015 which will celebrate the area's industrial past.  Have a look here for a sneak preview!

All a bit different.

Many thanks as always for stopping by and leaving a message.

Have a good week.

20 comments:

  1. I would have loved seeing those!! They are so 'up my street' :) Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are amazing. I remember seeing the first one on a news type programme when it first opened but hadn't seen anything about the others. Thanks for sharing them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an amazing conceptual artist! I loved seeing his work! Thank you for sharing this amazing art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing the first one on a news type programme too! I hadn't seen the others. I am glad you were able to photograph them to show us. I am off to "visit" the pylon now. Have a great weekend. Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was taken aback by the pictures, he is quite the artist, amazing. I have never come across anything like it. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great unusual collection! Good choice for Five On Friday! Thank you so much as always for joining in. I hope that you have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! An amazing artist! Thanks so much for introducing us to his work! I love how he relates his art to the area!
    Best wishes
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fascinating! I had never seen anything like what this artist has created. I especially like the wax building.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is brilliant! I love your Five on Fridays. That wax building is unbelievable x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing work I would have loved to have seen those, have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete