Friday, 19 June 2015

Winchester - Five on Friday

Welcome to another Five on Friday via Amy's blog.  Why don't you dip into the lives of the other contributors by following the link.

Thank you for your kind messages on my other posts.

Today, I thought I would give you five reasons to visit Winchester in Hampshire.

1. Winchester used to be the Capital before London took over.

King Alfred The Great became King of Wessex in 871 and made Winchester his Capital. He laid the foundations for a united England. It remained the seat of Government until the 12th Century when Winchester declined and was replaced by London.  There is a memorial to King Alfred by Tracey Sheppard on the site of Hyde Abbey where it is believed his body and that of his family were buried.  Last year part of a pelvic bone found on the site was confirmed as belonging to either King Alfred or his son Edward. There were all sorts of twists and turns to this discovery, here's a bit more information.




2. Winchester Cathedral - Jane Austen's burial place

At one time it was the most important royal church in England, many early monarchs are buried there.  Mary Tudor married Philip of Spain there.  It is also the burial place of novelist Jane Austen, who lived very close to the Cathedral at the end of her life. The Cathedral cafe is particularly good.




Jane Austen's house, now a private dwelling with a sign in the window deterring people from knocking on the door!

3. A lovely walk along the River from the town to the Hospital of St. Cross

The Hospital of St. Cross has a large chapel and almshouses which were on the pilgrim route to Canterbury.  It has a wayfarers dole of ale and bread which is still in force today, so if any traveller asks for some bread, they are obliged to give them some!  Mind you they do have a tearoom!





4. Winchester Castle.

Only part of the Castle is still standing but the Great Hall houses the fabled King Arthur's Round Table made for Edward I  but which was painted for Henry VIII with all the Knights' names round the edge.  The hall has very interesting stained glass windows.


5. Winchester City Mill

The Mill is owned by the National Trust and is a rare example of an urban corn mill situated on the River Itchen right in the middle of town.  It still mills corn and the flour is on sale in the shop.  There are hands on activities available.



As well as the above, the town has all the usual amenities, a number of museums plus the ruins of another castle - Wolvesley Castle and we particularly enjoy the exhibitions which take place in the library.

So all in all it's packed with things to do!

Have a good week. It's been great to have your company.

23 comments:

  1. Fascinating history tour, Love the bread story! imagine finding a bone from a king from so long ago. Incredible. The Mill looks great, I can imagine my kids would have a great time there with those activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father in law used to live in Winchester. I remember visiting fondly. Thanks for bringing old memories to the surface. Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOh! I've never been to Winchester before. I love historical places like this and Winchester really has it all! I'll add it to my next UK trip circa 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good places to visit you must have a long list! :-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely post. I found it most interesting as I am attending a wedding at Winchester in August, we intend to stay for a few days. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good. Hope you have a great time. :-)

      Delete
  5. I nice mini tour of Winchester :) I would love to visit Jane Austen's house, but I didn't realize it wasn't a museum ... what a shame. That would be annoying to live there with everyone wanting to come and see inside.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to have the world peeking through the window would be very trying! :-)

      Delete
  6. I would love to visit each and every place you've shared. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Winchester is a lovely place to visit isn't it. I didn't realise that Jane Austen was buried in the Cathedral. I have only been to Winchester a couple of times, but I thought that it was a very nice city indeed. There certainly is a lot of history in the city isn't there. Thank you so much as always for joining in. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a long time since we visited Winchester but I remember how lovely it was and I remember Jane Austen's stone on the floor in the Cathedral and the house not too far away, also remember the round table. I'd love to visit the mill:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this post! So much history! I would love to visit these sites myself someday. I've been to Ireland, but want to go to England so badly! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much to see! Glad you enjoyed it. I've put a few other places on my blog you might like to visit from afar. :-)

      Delete
  10. You always have such great information to share. Looks like a lovely place to visit with so much history. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh Karen, you've stirred something up in this house! The Best Beloved is from Hampshire and it's a bone of contention that he's never taken me to Winchester in 28 years, although he has a set of lovely photos which he took when he took his previous girlfriend there! He did eventually (22 years) take me to Jane Austen's house in Chawton so maybe he's working up to it? x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew up not far from Winchester and my brother lives very nearby, so I know it well and absolutely love it there. Such a beautiful city set in glorious countryside - the historical cathedral, brick and flint buildings and water meadows. I really enjoyed this post and your photos are a perfect snapshot of the place :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Cathy, glad it brought back some good memories for you. I've often admired the brick and flint wall at the Cathedral cafe whilst tucking into my tasty snack! :-)

    ReplyDelete