Friday, 12 June 2015

Magna Carta - Five on Friday

Is it Friday again?  How did that happen!  Here we are ready to join in with Amy's Five on Friday, do have a look at all the other posts.

Many thanks for all your comments over the last week, they were very much appreciated.

With the 800th Anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta happening on 15th June, my Five this week will relate to my visit to where the Magna Carta was signed - Runnymede, the birthplace of modern democracy.

1.  Here is the official website for the Anniversary.  Lots of information is included but it's not necessarily easy to find! Many activities have been arranged around the country.  The British Library has two original copies of the surviving four on display plus Artist Cornelia Parker has created Magna Carta ( An Embroidery) which is a completely embroidered version of the Wikipedia page about the Magna Carta created by over 200 invited people from various backgrounds who embroidered certain significant words. For instance embroiderers included prisoners, Anthony Gormley and Phillip Pullman, whose word was 'Oxford' as his books are set there. More information here.

2.  Magna Carta memorial funded by the American Bar Association









3. Countryside - beautiful setting by the River Thames












4. Other Memorials - John F. Kennedy and the Commonwealth Air Forces






5.Egham town itself.
King John and Baron Fitzwalter sealing the Magna Carta by the shops.

Royal Holloway College just up the road

The National Trust look after the Runneymede site and have a cafe on the premises.

There we are, a bit of history for you!

Thanks for visiting.

Bye for now.

13 comments:

  1. Interesting escape to the history and a lovely walk trough the nature.
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday came around quickly din't it? How fascinating and how beautiful Runneymede looks I'd love to visit. We saw the Magna Carta exhibition recently at Lincoln Castle which was interesting. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too saw the exhibition at Lincoln castle. I was certainly impressed with the beauty of Runneymede from you photos, a definitely to do candidate. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great selection of Magna Carta related things! I can add another fun one for you. I know someone who used to be a guide in the Chapter House in Salisbury Cathedral where you will know that there is a copy of Magna Carta. The guide was once asked in all seriousness "why didn't they use biro to sign it, it would have lasted better". I know!!!!!!!!!! This is totally true and it was a totally serious question!!!!!!!! Your post just reminded me of this. Thank you so much for joining in and for stirring my own memories. I hope that you have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat theme! My daughter and I learned all about the Magna Carta when we visited Salisbury Cathedral back in March. I am embarrassed about how little I knew about it then , but I have done some reading since and feel very aware now! Thanks for sharing your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fascinating glimpse back into history. I so enjoyed reading this post and seeing the lovely photos. You're lucky to live right in the middle of history! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a member of Middle Temple, the Magna Carta is very high on the agenda this year. Lovely pictures and great theme. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have such lovely photos. Wow, I didn't know that England had a memorial for JFK! What a sad day that was, I still remember it as if it were yesterday rather than almost 52 years ago... I was 8 at the time.
    Hugs for now,
    Beth P
    #23 Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful countryside photos. Such and exciting historical week for you, enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Wonderful post filled with fascinating history! 800 years! That is amazing...you never think in terms of that longitude when you consider anything that sets the stage for our own country's history. And Runnymede is beautiful! What a lovely memorial and beautiful grounds. Love the other memorials and statues as well. How wonderful that JFK is commemorated there too. Happy Anniversary Britain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting information. I can't believe the embroidery. That's a whole lot of work. Amazing! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very interesting post, I'm ashamed to say I knew very little about it but I'm off to put that right now. I love the Royal Holloway College building. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very interesting. Wonderful photos!
    Have a beautiful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete