Friday, 29 May 2015

Wisley Trees - Five on Friday

It's Five on Friday time and I'm joining in with Amy from Love Made My Home and all the others, do have a look at their posts by following the link.

Thanks to my dear friend, I have enjoyed a trip to the RHS gardens at Wisley this week on a glorious sunny day so my Five on Friday is based on the exciting and unusual trees we came across.

1. Citrus tangelo

The Orlando tangelo is a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit and is very juicy.  We found this inside the Glasshouse.


2. Cornus Kousa- possibly Wisley Queen



The flowers are the tiddly bobbly things in the middle of the creamy bracts.  The leaves are purple/red in the autumn and the bracts change to pink with red fruits.

3. Abutilon Jermyns




4. Handkerchief Tree - Davidia Involucrata - Also known as the Dove Tree or Ghost tree.



5. Toona Sinensis Flamingo - Chinese mahogany





These pink leaves change colour to creamy yellow and then to green and are deciduous.


5. Ravenala Madagascariensis



Rain collects in the leaves way up the top and runs all the way down providing a drink caught at the bottom.  It is known as the Travellers Tree or Travellers Palm and is a member of the Bird of Paradise family.

Fantastic aren't they!

Tomorrow I'll put on a few more plants from Wisley as I would definitely overstep the five needed for today - mind you I did sneak an extra one in by having two number fives!! How naughty am I!

Thanks for visiting, see you soon.

20 comments:

  1. Five wonderful trees, I wouldn't want to chose a favourite although I do like the flowers and colour of number 3 - look forward to seeing more from your visit to Wisley:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely trees, Karen, but then I am a sucker for a nice tree. There is a lovely handkerchief tree near Hereford which I like to visit at this time of year... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive, I have never come across a handkerchief tree before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Fantastic. I love those pink leaves. You don't see that very often.
    www.queenbcreativeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all look so beautiful. You had some beautiful weather for your visit. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha-ha! At first I thought my eyes were deceiving me. I did see two number 5's. :) The traveler's palm is very cool. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will overlook extra fascinating trees! They are all beautiful aren't they and so interesting. I would love to see the handkerchief tree in person as I have heard of it, but never actually seen one. I find it so interesting. Thank you so much for taking us along and for joining in. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, they are fantastic, nature is amazing isn't it? I wonder what a cross between an orange and a grapefruit tastes like. I love the purple flowery one too. Ah it must have been a great day out. Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Maybe they are rather bitter, I'm not a great fan of grapefruit but they do look nice on the tree! x

      Delete
  9. I so enjoyed seeing these unique plants you shared today. We have travelers palm and tangelo here in southern California. It's always fascinating to see new and different plant species. My best wishes to you for a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's what is so interesting about these blogs, what's unusual for me is common place for you and vice versa. :-)

      Delete
  10. Gosh, I can't remember the last time I visited a botanical garden! Hmmm, I guess it's time then! :D I love that last tree and your description of how it catches the rain! Looks like you had a most lovely time. I will look forward to visiting again real soon,
    Hugs for now from across the pond,
    Beth P
    #18 Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you can't beat a few flowers on a sunny day. :-)

      Delete