Friday, 15 May 2015

Parklife - Five on Friday

It's Friday. It's five to five (not really!) and it's Crackerjack ! (it's not that either - it's Five on Friday with Amy at Love Made My Home). That took me back a bit to a TV programme of my childhood!

Where shall we go today? Very conveniently, there is a beautiful park near the supermarket full of colour.  My camera is always busy using up it's batteries when I am there.  Here and here and here are some other photos taken there earlier in the year.

1.  Trees - the stars this week are the hawthorns and horse chestnuts (Aesculus hippocastanum (common)or carnea (red)).  Apparently, the white horse chestnut flowers have yellow marks on them to attract the bees which turn red (the marks not the bees!)  when they have been pollinated.  I'll have to look out for the conkers in the Autumn.

Crimson Cloud Hawthorn

Red Horse Chestnut
Horse Chestnut





2. Flowers - there's plenty of scope for plants so there is always something new opening up either in the woodland or in the flower beds.  At the moment the flower beds are in between seasons, the rose arch has been refurbished and the wild flower patch just looks wild!  These are the best of the rest!


Rhododendron Luteum

Bluebell clumps

Not sure what this is! - maybe a daphne?

I've forgotten what this is too. Eek. If I remember I'll pop back and update it.
3. Birds - there's a large lake so quite a collection of birds.  The moorhens are getting bigger . . .


. . . I nearly missed this chap, a Canada Goose, hidden in the daisies . . .


. . . but there are no new cygnets yet as the swan is still sitting on her nest.




4. Exterior Adornments - the lovely big house is well used, there are assorted artworks in the grounds and on the terrace.


A smiley face high up on the wall!
Totem by Robert Carruthers recently renovated






5. Art Inside - this week the Alice in Wonderland theme continues in the cafe and there is a display of Henri Matisse's cut-outs.

Alice continues in the cafe
Henri Matisse

Well that wraps up this weeks FoF.  Have a good week.

See you again soon.

Thanks for visiting and for your comments.


16 comments:

  1. That took me back, your opening gambit Crackerjack, you certainly made me smile. Beautiful post loving the exterior adornments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I haven't been able to look at your post today as some sort of error has occurred but I'll give it another go later on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Crackerjack with Eamon Andrews and all the cabbages the children had to hold along with their other winnings. Lovely photos of the trees, flowers and birds - May is such a lovely month:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Peter Glaze and crackerjack pencils! Those were the days! Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  4. The spring time flowers are so pretty.and I love the photos of the birds. My best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crackerjack opening had me smiling :) The blossom is just gorgeous at the moment, love your dainty chestnut blossom. I hope you see some cygnets soon!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect they will be along soon, she's been sitting on the nest for ages. Last year there were only two whereas there were five the previous year. Have fun!

      Delete
  6. I remember Crackerjack with Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart - a blast from the past :) We have a tall horse chestnut opposite our house, and every morning I see it from our loft bedroom window. The flowers are lovely close up. I love that photo of the gosling in the daisies, a very sweet image :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely Cathy. The flowers are like enormous ice creams with dribbly bits of sauce! :-)

      Delete
  7. What wonderful gardeny things!! Always lovely to see what is going on outside. Do you remember the crackerjack pencils and the cabbages, no idea why they had cabbages other than they were really hard to hold on to! Sorry to be brief today, but thank you so much for joining in despite me being missing. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd never dream of giving children a load of cabbages these days! Do hope all is well with you and yours. Take care. x

      Delete
  8. Sorry if this is duplicated, it's the phone, not me of course! Haha! Cracker Jack took me right back, I loved that programme. I also love your pictures they are beautiful. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe it's your glasses as there is only one comment from you!!! Thanks very much, you too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this time of year in regards to planting. You capture it well and wow to the Canadian goose photo too, too cute for words

    ReplyDelete