Friday, 22 May 2015

Boats - Five on Friday





Hello and welcome to my Five on Friday  Messing About On The River post!  Many thanks to Amy from Love Made My Home for letting me join in the fun! Do have a look at all the other interesting posts from all over the world.

I've found a selection of boaty photos for you.  First of all we have some barges on the River Wey Navigations not far from Dapdune Wharf, Guildford.  The National Trust visitor centre has bags of information about the Navigations and the people who lived and worked along the 15 mile stretch of waterway.  There's a cafe and you can see where the barges were made and climb on 'Reliance' one of the barges or even have a boat trip.  Plus there are all those miles and miles of towpath to walk or cycle down.


Secondly, we're in Portsmouth Harbour, with the 110m Spinnaker Tower on the left, which can be seen 23 miles away.  You can zoom to the top in a speedy lift and, if you are feeling brave, walk on the glass floor.  Eek! Don't look down!  The bus in the photo is in a queue waiting for the Isle of Wight Ferry which transports cars and passengers to the Isle in a little over 30 minutes where sea, sand, dinosaurs and fossils await.


At number three, also in Portsmouth but at the Historic Dockyard, we have HMS Victory, Nelson's Flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar.  Nelson died on the Orlop Deck after being shot.  The thing everyone remembers from a visit to The Victory is the fact that the deck floor was supposedly painted red to hide the blood caused by the battles, but I understand that this is a big myth and that the floor was painted with red ochre, the cheapest paint to waterproof the floor as the hold was below and needed protecting from seepage.  Oh well, we are such a gory lot!


Fourthly, a car ferry in Dartmouth is shipping passengers across the River Dart to Kingswear, maybe they are heading off to Agatha Christie's house at the Greenway Estate.  Beautiful place, Dartmouth - see my earlier post here.


Finally this is a peculiar sort of boat! It's a weed-cutter and can be seen here merrily chomping weeds in the river at Winchester.  It's slicing the weeds below the surface to keep the water clear.




Well that's it!  All the boats have sailed away, apart from The Victory which has been in Portsmouth since 1922.

Have a good week and see you again soon.

Thanks for drifting by!





16 comments:

  1. Five great boats!!! I like the last one most of all though because I have never heard of or seen such a thing before!!!! What an amazing contraption. I thought the same about the red deck on the Victory as you did, so I am intrigued to hear the real reason - the truth is usually stranger than fiction isn't it! Thank you so much as always for joining in. I hope that you have a great weekend!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen, I really enjoyed this post. The Best Beloved is from Porstmouth so we visit family there. We've been on HMS Victory - I believe she is still a commissioned ship? Although they'd never get her in the water again. My father-in-law used to work in an office which overlooked her so he saw her every day. Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great view. There's so much to see there isn't there? I haven't managed to get to the Mary Rose yet. Have fun :-)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post I was rather intrigued with the weed cutter I have never seen anything like that before. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rather strange isn't it! It bombed all the way up one side of the river and then whoosh there it was going the other way! :-)

      Delete
  4. Great pics! I'd love to se the HMS Victory one day. I've been to the UK several times but never made it to Portsmouth. I'll definitely add it to my priority list! Have a wonderful weekend!
    www.queenbcreativeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bronwyn. There is a lot to see in Portsmouth and Southsea a little bit down the coast. Have a good weekend too. :-)

      Delete
  5. I've walked over that glass floor! It was ok but not really my cup of tea. Lovely theme for a post today x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love a narrow boat, I have a best friend who dreams of retiring to one. Dartmouth is a beautiful place! I didn't even know the weed cutting boats existed - how fab! A great five! Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun, thanks for the comment :-)

      Delete
  7. I loved seeing the boats and your photos. Looks like an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you can see I am way behind on my visits for Five on Friday and I do apologize. Gardening season has taken over my life at the moment, whew! Anyway, it is lovely to see all those boats - there is something about being near water and of course boats. Very calming.
    Hugs,
    Beth P
    #17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, it's just nice that you have had time to pop in and comment at all. Thanks :-)

      Delete