Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Cold Comfort Farm

I was lucky enough to receive some books for Christmas.


I am currently enjoying Cold Comfort Farm, a comic novel written in 1932 by Stella Gibbons renowned for it's 'I saw something nasty in the woodshed' and 'there have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort' quotes.

In the foreword Stella Gibbons helpfully tells us that '... I have in mind all those thousands of persons not unlike myself, who work in the vulgar and meaningless bustle of offices, shops and homes, and who are not always sure whether a sentence is Literature or whether it is just sheer flapdoodle, that I have adopted the method perfected by the late Herr Baedeker, and firmly marked what I consider the finer passages with one, two or three stars.'

She has invented a number of colourful words which are perfect descriptions for the rural locations and activities, the characters are well observed and our heroine Flora Poste has her work cut out to bring the Starkadders to order.

John Schlesinger's 1995 film of the same name has a wonderful selection of our best actors and actresses and sticks well to the book.

1995 Cold Comfort Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment